In a 2-story stone building, afterwards a hotel, Vance House.
Established as administrative offices for U.S. Army during the Mexican War, 1846-1847.
At this site on Feb. 16, 1861, Gen. David E. Twiggs surrendered $1,600,000 in Federal property to forces of Confederate Texas.
For a year headquarters for Texas Military Affairs, which were later administered from Houston, Bonham and Shreveport.
Site is part of complex of San Antonio military tradition that extends from early Spanish day, to the Alamo, to 20th Century.