Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Paciﬁc
—1920 —Built by General Electric to pull transcontinental passenger trains through the Cascade Mountains, number E-2 is one of five 1+B-D-D-B+1 "gearless bi-polars" which means the 12 traction motors are mounted directly on the driving axles thus eliminating the use of gears. Moving downhill the motors converted into generators which returned electricity to the distributing system. This is the sole surviving Bi-polar. Donated in 1961 by the Milwaukee Road.
|Placed By||Museum of Transportation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 28th, 2019 at 8:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 721010 N 4272240|
|Decimal Degrees||38.57115000, -90.46310000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.269', W 90° 27.786'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 16.14" N, 90° 27' 47.16" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.