—1896 —The Baldwin Locomotive Works built this six-wheel or 0-6-0 switching locomotive used to move cars in a rail yard or industrial plant. Switchers were meant for low speeds and sharp curves. They usually didn't have leading or trailing wheels, putting all their weight on their driving wheels. This one also has a slope-back or "fantail" tender. Its shape give the engine crew a better view of people working at the rear, improving safety. In 1923 the locomotive got a new boiler, changing its appearance. It was sold to the East St. Louis Junction Railroad in 1941, serving local stockyards across the Mississippi River in Illinois. In the early 1950s it was bought by St. Louis Material & Supply, alter Basic Materials, in Pacific, MO. It switched hopper cars of gravel there until 1963, being the last conventional steam locomotive to regularly operate in the St. Louis area. Donated by Basic Materials in 1963.
|Placed By||Museum of Transportation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 28th, 2019 at 8:03am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 720983 N 4272228|
|Decimal Degrees||38.57105000, -90.46341667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.263', W 90° 27.805'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 15.78" N, 90° 27' 48.3" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.