—1954 —This caboose was built by the Northern Pacific Railway at their Brainerd, MN shops. The cupola on top is a lookout for its crew, where they can keep watch on the freight cars as the train runs. It was rebuilt in 1968 with a propane-fired heater (later replaced with an oil-fired system), axle-driven electrical system, drinking water tanks, and chemical retention toilet. Hydraulic draft gear between the couplers and frame cushion its crew against sudden movement due to coupler slack action. This happens when the train changes speed or goes over a hill. The single inch of space between the couplers of each car can cause sudden jerks at the train's rear end in a "crack the whip" fashion. This was a frequent cause of crew injuries and is one of the reasons cabooses were eliminated in the 1980s. This caboose is 40' 10" long overall and weighs 67,000 lbs. Donated in 1983 by the Burlington Northern Railroad.
|Placed By||Museum of Transportation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 28th, 2019 at 8:04am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 720991 N 4272245|
|Decimal Degrees||38.57120000, -90.46331667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.272', W 90° 27.799'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 16.32" N, 90° 27' 47.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.