—1931 —This is one of two class P-5 prototypes built at the railroad's Altoona, PA, shops. They led to the construction of 90 additional, class P-5a locomotives which were built for electrified passenger service between New York City, Philadelphia, PA, Washington, DC, and Harrisburg, PA. In 1939 they began being regeared from a top speed of 90 to 70 mph for freight service and were replaced in passenger service by the famous GG1 type locomotives, one of which is on exhibit. It takes its power from an overhead wire carrying 11,000 volts, single phase AC, at 25 Hertz via pantographs on its roof. It is 62' 8" long and weighs 392,000 lbs. 225,000 lbs. of that on its 72" drive wheels. IT has a 2-C-2 classification, with only the three center axles powered. Its 625 HP traction motors (two per drive axle) produce 3,750 HP on a continuous basis, with a short term output of 6,500 HP. The center drive wheels are "blind," having no flanges to allow it to take tighter curves. Two or three could be operated together on heavy trains, controlled from the lead unit. Donated in 1968 by the Pennsylvania Railroad.
|Placed By||Museum of Transportation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 28th, 2019 at 11:05am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 720956 N 4272153|
|Decimal Degrees||38.57038333, -90.46375000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.223', W 90° 27.825'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 13.38" N, 90° 27' 49.5" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.