1839-1909William Benton Henderson was a leading figure in the development of Tampa and Hillsborough County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A Georgia native, Henderson arrived in Tampa in 1847 and served as a lieutenant in the Confederate army. After the Civil War, he joined in partnership with Captain John Miller and established a mercantile and shipping empire. Henderson was active in the real estate business, helped bring the telegraph to Tampa and was a major factor in the establishment of Tampa's cigar industry. An active Methodist and Mason, he was also a noted philanthropist. A leader in the cattle industry, he drove his herds down present-day Henderson Boulevard en route to Port Tampa to be shipped to various ports.
|Placed By||The Tampa Historical Society in cooperation with the proud descendants of William B. Henderson|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 28th, 2019 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 352772 N 3091809|
|Decimal Degrees||27.94318333, -82.49651667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 27° 56.591', W 82° 29.791'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||27° 56' 35.46" N, 82° 29' 47.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.