Chicago, Rock Island & Paciﬁc
—1955 —One of the two experimental demonstrator "Aerotrains" (#2 and #3) built by GM with a new light weigh construction and low center of gravity concept, powered by 1,200 h.p. futuristic locomotives. Initially in mainline service, they rode poorly at high speeds and had very high noise levels. Purchased by the Rock Island Railroad, they were in suburban Chicago passenger service until 1965. The locomotive and two cars were donated in 1966 by the Rock Island Railroad.
|Placed By||Museum of Transportation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 28th, 2019 at 8:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 720856 N 4272448|
|Decimal Degrees||38.57306667, -90.46480000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 34.384', W 90° 27.888'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 34' 23.04" N, 90° 27' 53.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.