Though called the World's Fair Pavilion, this popular gathering spot was not built until 1909, five years after the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. Designed by Henry Wright, the pavilion was presented to the citizens of St. Louis by the Fair Commission. It gave St. Louisans a place to take in a view of their city, enjoy refreshments and meet each other in the park where the world once met.
The exterior of the World's Fair Pavilion was restored in 1980. A full restoration sponsored by Forest Park Forever was completed in September 1998.
"Formal gardens of classical beauty" reads the description on the back of this postcard. Landscaping like this came to Forest Park and the pavilion grounds with Dwight F. Davis, St. Louis Commissioner of Parks from 1911-1930.
This postcard shows the electric fountain at the base of the Government Hill. After its 1930 installation, complete with rainbow-colored lights, the St. Louis Star Times reported "a new note in the evening symphony of beauty in Forest Park."
Following the close of the Fair, city officials requested a pavilion for the sale of refreshments to be built. The resulting World's Fair Pavilion and the Jefferson Memorial (the Missouri
Historical Society) were two projects sponsored by the Fair Commission. This photo is dates 1940.
Sunday rock concerts filled the pavilion in 1970, even though requests for permits had been refused. On July 12, 1970 the Youth International Party held the "Festival of Life" pictured here.