A group of concerned Cincinnati women organized, in
1855, The Protestant Home for the Friendless and
Female Guardian Society as a private, not-for-profit
maternity home for destitute women and children.
These public minded social leaders were aware that
Cincinnati had grown beyond the time when the poor
or unfortunate were cared for by their neighbors.
The Home, which was funded through bequests and
personal donations, was founded to care for poor
mothers with babies, unmarried pregnant women
wanderers and strangers in the city, and to promote adoptions.
(Continued on other side)Originally located at 433 West Court Street, the
Home moved to this site on Springfield Pike in 1926
after the name changed to the Maple Knoll Home
and Maternity Hospital. In the 1970s, this charity
merged with the Bodmann Widows' and Old Men's Home to form Southwestern Ohio Seniors' Services, Inc., parent corporation of Maple Knoll Village