Union Heights (side 1)This Community, subdivided into lots in 1919, was named for the nearby union station of three railroads. It had been part of Belmont Plantation from the colonial period to the mid-19th century and became an African-American community after the Civil War. Union Heights, a thriving neighborhood of houses, churches, and shops, grew with the dramatic expansion of the Charleston Navy Yard from 1935 through World War II and into the 1960s.
Howard Heights (side 2)This community, subdivided into residential lots for African-Americans in 1943, was named for Howard University. It had been part of Windsor Plantation in the early 19th century, then was part of the phosphate operations of the Virginia-Carolina Chemical Co. The Charleston Housing Authority developed this area with federal funding during World War II. Though smaller than Union Heights, Howard Heights flourished from 1943 into the 1960s.
Sponsored by the Union Heights Community Council, 2014