Historic SedonaThe Pentecostal Church of Sedona met in 1932 to discuss affiliating with the Assemblies of God - it was June 1933 before the congregation was informed that they had been officially recognized by the General Council. In 1930 Pastor James Sheltrown worked with Jess Purtymun and other men of the congregation to build the first church to be built in Sedona, a wood structure on the site of the now Hyatt Pinon Pointe. Electricity didn't come to Sedona until 1936 so the church was lit with carbide lights in those first years. People came to church by wagon and team. In 1952 the church was veneered with red rock. The congregation had reached 100 by 1946. The Church was built on ground leased from the Forest Service, but the Forest Service exchanged this land into private ownership, and although the church owned their small piece it wasn't large enough for their growing needs and in the mid-1980s the congregation moved to a new church in West Sedona and abandoned the old church. The new owners gave the local volunteer Fire Department permission to use the structure for a practice burn. The Sedona Fire Department proceeded to have 3 planned burns to demonstrate the effectiveness of sprinklers systems.
|Placed By||Sedona Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, May 10th, 2019 at 8:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12S E 430315 N 3858581|
|Decimal Degrees||34.86720000, -111.76241667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 52.032', W 111° 45.745'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 52' 1.9199999999998" N, 111° 45' 44.7" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.