Site of a homestead. This is part of land sold by Tobaccus, Sachem of Unkechaug Indians, to Gov. John Winthrop of Connecticut in 1664, extending from Bellport through Bluepoint, from Great South Bay to the middle of the island. By 1680 it was known as 'Winthrop's Patent'.
Humphrey Avery, of Preston, Conn., purchased Pine Neck from John Still Winthrop in 1752.
He sold the land by lottery in 1756, repurchasing the lot on which the Swan River Nursery office now resides, built in 1820 as the Avery homestead.
The following members of the Avery Family owned and inhabited this site
Humphrey Avery 1699-1788
Humphrey Avery 1725-1789
Roger Avery 1755-1824
John Avery 1791-1868
Humphrey Avery 1816-1889
Charles W. Avery 1854-1915
Humphrey R. Avery (illegible)