The History of Chetumal - 1937-1955 / 1960-2016

The History of Chetumal - 1937-1955 / 1960-2016 (HM2GVS)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 18° 30.041', W 88° 17.771'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 54 views
Inscription

Paseo de los Héroes

 Chetumal Su Historia - 1937-1955Hotel Los CocosEl entonces Gobernador de Quintana Roo, Gral. Rafael E. Melgar, según Periódico Oficial del Gobierno del Territorio de Quintana Roo de fecha 16 de Noviembre de 1936, decreta las obras que se realizaran en el Territorio en 1937, entre ellas, la construcción de un Hotel en Payo Obispo.Es el mismo Gral. Melgar quien inicia el levantamiento del antiguo Hotel Los Cocos en terrenos que ocupaba el Vivero de Cocoteros "Andrés Quintana Roo". El propietario original del predio era el Sr. Felipe Perales. De la actividad de este predio procede el nombre del Hotel.El Hotel Los Cocos, junto con la escuela Belisario Domínguez, el Hospital Civil Morelos y la planta baja del Palacio de Gobierno, constituirían los edificios arquitectónicos más importantes realizados por el Gral. Rafael Melgar en el antiguo territorio. El hotel fue finalizado hasta el año de 1942, durante el período de gobierno del General Gabriel Guevara Orihuela, quien inaugura el flamante hotel Los Cocos. A partir de ese año
1942, empezó a forjarse alrededor de este hotel toda una tradición



y leyenda viviente en el corazón de los lugareños, quienes celebraban aquí todo acontecimiento social, político o cultural que ocurría en la ciudad. En 1945 el edificio del Hotel Los Cocos fue convertido en cuartel militar con la
autorización del entonces Gobernador del Territorio Margarito Ramírez Miranda (1944-1959), quedando el edificio en lamentable estado. En Septiembre de 1955, la ciudad de Chetumal sufre la tragedia climatológica más grande de su historia al ser embestida por el implacable Huracán Janet, quien a su paso causó tragedia y sufrimiento, incontables pérdidas económicas, hogares y vidas de cientos de Chetumaleños. Para afrontar este huracán, el señor Margarito Ramírez, instauró al Hotel
Los Cocos como un refugio anticiclónico, convirtiéndose en hogar de muchos Chetumaleños antes, durante y después del huracán Janet, salvando así este hotel muchas vidas de su pueblo y otorgando espacios donde mitigar por varios días sus desesperanzas. Chetumal Su Historia - 1960-2016Hotel Los CocosAl llegar el Ing. Aarón Merino Fernández a la gubernatura del territorio (1959-1964), rescató el edificio del hotel, ordenando su remozamiento y lo acondicionó debidamente. Durante su periodo de gobierno se realizó la construcción de un edificio anexo de tres
plantas con 18 cuartos, denominándose a esta sección Nuevo Hotel Los Cocos, la



cual fue inaugurada por el entonces Presidente de México, Don Adolfo López Mateos en 1960. Más adelante, cuando el Lic. David Gustavo Gutiérrez Ruiz, se convierte en Gobernador del Territorio de Quintana Roo (1971-1975), gestiona ante Nacional Hotelera, créditos para la demolición del antiguo Hotel Los Cocos y la construcción de un nuevo edificio. El futuro hotel cuyo nombre comercial sería denominado como Hotel El Presidente Chetumal y cuyo costo fue de más de 20 millones de pesos, sería administrado por Nacional Hotelera, bajo la razón social de Banco Nacional Urbano Fideicomiso Hotel El Presidente Chetumal. Este nuevo hotel inició sus operaciones en el año de 1974, mismo año en que este progresista Territorio se convirtió en el Estado Libre y Soberano de Quintana Roo. En 1988, Hoteles Presidente, con el fin de que sus mercados identifiquen la calidad de sus diversas propiedades, las reclasifica y establece la estrategia de una nueva marca comercial: Hotels Del Prado. Exactamente medio siglo después de que el Gral. Gabriel Guevara Orihuela inaugurara en 1942 el antiguo Hotel Los Cocos, en 1992, la historia se repite y la leyenda continúa. Este hotel recupero su original nombre, esto gracias al empresario Chetumaleño, Sr. Norman Angulo Mac'Liverty el cual conserva hasta nuestros días.

English translation: Chetumal and Its History - 1937-1955 Hotel Los Cocos The then Governor of Quintana Roo, General Rafael E. Melgar, according to the Official Newspaper of the Government of the Territory of Quintana Roo dated 16 of November 1936, decreed the works to be carried out in the Territory in 1937. Among them was the construction of a hotel in Payo Obispo. The same General Melgar initiated the razing of the old Hotel Los Cocos on lands occupied by the Andrés Quintana Roo Coconut Growers Nursery. The original owner of the property was Felipe Perales. The name of the hotel came from this prior activity on this property. The Hotel Los Cocos, together with the Belisario Domínguez school, the Morelos Civil Hospital and the ground floor of the Government Palace, would constitute the most important architectural buildings made by General Rafael Melgar in the old territory. The hotel was completed in 1942 during the period of government of General Gabriel Guevara Orihuela, who inaugurated the brand new Hotel Los Cocos. From that year, a tradition and legend began to be built around this hotel in the heart of locals, who celebrated here every social, political or cultural event that took place in the city. In 1945 the building of the Hotel Los Cocos was converted into a military barracks with the authorization of the then Governor of the Territory Margarito Ramírez Miranda (1944-1959), leaving the building in a sorry state. In September of 1955, the city of Chetumal suffered the greatest climatological tragedy of its history when it was attacked by the implacable Hurricane Janet, who in its wake caused tragedy and suffering, including the economic losses of homes and the lives of hundreds of people from Chetumal. To face this hurricane, Margarito Ramírez established in the Hotel Los Cocos a hurricane shelter. It became home to many Chetumaleños before, during and after Hurricane Janet, so that this hotel saved the lives of many people and provided spaces where for several days their despair could be lessened. Chetumal and Its History - 1960-2016 Hotel Los Cocos Upon the arrival of Aarón Merino Fernández as Governor of the territory (1959-1964), he rescued the building of the hotel, ordering its renovation and reconditionaing it properly. During his period of government the construction of an annex building of three floors with 18 rooms was also complete. This annex was named the New Hotel Los Cocos, which was inaugurated by the then President of Mexico, Adolfo López Mateos in 1960. Later, when David Gustavo Gutiérrez Ruiz became Governor of the Territory of Quintana Roo (1971-1975), he applied for new loans with Nacional Hotelera (National Hotel) to be used to demolish the old Hotel Los Cocos and construct of a new building. The future hotel, whose commercial name would be the Hotel El Presidente Chetumal and whose cost was more than 20 million pesos, would be managed by Nacional Hotelera, under the name of Banco Nacional Urbano El Presidente Chetumal Hotel Trust . This new hotel started its operations in 1974, the same year in which this progressive Territory became the Free and Sovereign State of Quintana Roo. In 1988, Hoteles Presidente, in order that markets identify the quality of its diverse properties, reclassified them and established the strategy of a new commercial brand: Hotels Del Prado. Exactly half a century after General Gabriel Guevara Orihuela inaugurated the old Los Cocos Hotel in 1942, in 1992, history repeats itself and the legend continues. This hotel recovered its original name, thanks to the Chetumalan businessman, Norman Angulo MacLiverty, which it proudly keeps to this day.
Details
HM NumberHM2GVS
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, May 18th, 2019 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16Q E 363165 N 2046071
Decimal Degrees18.50068333, -88.29618333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 18° 30.041', W 88° 17.771'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds18° 30' 2.46" N, 88° 17' 46.26" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?