The Pennzoil brand comes from a long history of foundings and mergers that date back to 1886 when local men Henry Suhr, Samuel Justus, and Louis Walz founded the Penn Refining Company
In 1914, Penn Refining merged with Germania Refining Company, renaming the company Penn-American in 1917. Seven years later, Penn-American merged with the Oil City Oil and Grease Company to form the Pennzoil Corporation.
South Penn Oil Company was created in 1889 by Standard Oil in response to what Standard perceived as a serious threat from the Producers Protective Association to its supply of crude in the Appalachian Field. South Penn was led by Titusville oilman Joseph Seep.
By the end of 1891, the firm had purchased several oil producers including Union Oil and Midland Oil — both owned by the McKinney brothers of Titusville.South Penn bought 51% interest in Pennzoil in 1925, increasing their ownership to 84% in 1953, and subsequently 100% in 1955.
Pennzoil and South Penn's Corporate Headquarters were located in Oil City at the Drake Building until 1965