Middle Creek United Methodist Church & Settlement

Middle Creek United Methodist Church & Settlement (HM2H0K)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 35° 49.312', W 83° 32.326'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 148 views
Inscription
The Church
By 1787, Methodist Circuit Riding Preachers were traveling throughout this vast wilderness region with a Bible and a saddlebag, ministering in frontier settlements. At Middle Creek, open-air revivals known as camp meetings were held beneath a sprawling tree for weeks at a time. People camped or built log huts for temporary shelter. By 1822 this site became widely known as Middle Creek Camp Ground, the foundation for the Middle Creek United Methodist Church. Historians say that in 1844 John and Asa Trotter donated land to the camp ground, and again in 1851 for the building of a church. Middle Creek Cemetery graves date back to the early 1800s.


Lightning struck the church steeple in 1913, ran down the corner to the foundation and split the cornerstone. Spence Lawson, secured by ropes, repaired the steeple, and Luther Roberts hauled rocks in a horse-drawn wagon to secure the foundation.


Modernization came to Middle Creek when the church was wired for electricity in the mid-1940s, replacing a carbide system for lighting. By 1951, space for a furnace was carved from the limestone beneath the church.

The Community
the settlement in Middle Creek was a thriving one. Dr. William Harrison Trotter practiced medicine in an office on the lawn of his handsome two-story Greek



Revival-style home constructed in 1848 in the Middle Creek community. Country stores included the Joe Roberts Store, the George Fox store (later operated by Mr. Stewart Trotter), and the Bob Marshall store.


By 1919, a passenger/freight train was traveling through Middle Creek. Three train stops were at the Amos Trotter farm, the Bob Rambo farm, and near the Middle Creek United Methodist Church. Early history indicates that the Middle Creek Post Office was at the home of Mr. Tilmon Fox, then at the George Fox Store.


Middle Creek Academy, "known as the outstanding school of the county," was built near the church in the 1850s on land donated by William Harrison Trotter. The academy was destroyed by fire during the Civil War, was rebuilt, and continued to rank high in education. Once the academy closed in the mid-1960s, the land on which it sat was presented to the Middle Creek United Methodist Church.
Details
HM NumberHM2H0K
Tags
Year Placed2017
Placed ByCity of Pigeon Forge in 2017
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019 at 2:03pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17S E 270649 N 3967166
Decimal Degrees35.82186667, -83.53876667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 35° 49.312', W 83° 32.326'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds35° 49' 18.72" N, 83° 32' 19.56" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?