Joseph Calhoon brought his family from Vergennes, Vermont, to Dover Township in 1810, and they established themselves as the first permanent settlers in what would become Bay Village, Ohio. The Calhoon house, called Rose Hill, was built in 1818 and replaced the log cabin the family built upon their arrival. Granddaughter Ida Maria Calhoon bequeathed her family's 115-acre homestead as the Calhoon Memorial Park to the citizens of Bay Village in 1917. In accordance with the family's wish, Rose Hill serves the community as a museum and library. The Reuben Osborn House (1815), thought to be the oldest frame house between Cleveland and Lorain, and the Community House (1882), formerly the Calhoon barn, join Rose Hill on the grounds of the memorial park. Calhoon Memorial Park is the center of the community activity in Bay Village.