With work inspired by mythology. literature,
religion, and nature, Cowan Pottery played
a significant role in the formative years of
American ceramic art and established a national
following with products sold in fine department
stores. The design studio, factory, and showroom
of Cowan Pottery stood here from 1920-1931.
R. Guy Cowan moved the business to Rocky River
from Lakewood, where it started 1913. Although
Cowan Pottery closed during the Depression, the firm's
work is still collected and can be found in the
Smithsonian, Cleveland Museum of Art, and other
museums. Comprehensive holdings are in the Cowan
Pottery Museum at the Rocky River Public Library.