In 1928, Samuel and Charlotte Hale Shaw came to Bath Township from Bristol, New York. They purchased 145 acres of land where Samuel, a carpenter, built a two-story frame house. They had six children; two died in infancy. Their two year old daughter, Charlotte, was the first to be buried in Shaw Cemetery. They conveyed one half acre of land to the township for a "burying ground" in 1836. Samuel died in 1836; Charlotte then married Lyman Doolittle. They had five children: two daughters survived to adulthood. In 1892, Virgil E and Genevieve Doolittle Shaw sold one acre to Bath Township to expand Shaw Cemetery. Samuel's parents, Constant and Mercy Pitts Shaw, migrated to Bath Township along with his brothers and their families.
Sylvester and Harriet Parsons Shaw arrived in 1832 in a wagon drawn
by oxen, built a log cabin, and became successful farmers. Their
grandson, Leon Shaw, was a noted photographer in the late 19th
century. His photographs depicting everyday rural life are frequently
on display at the Bath Township Museum. A Methodist Chapel was
built in 1879 adjacent to Shaw Cemetery on land given by Romanzo
Boughton. It was named in honor of Oliver Moore, who donated to the
construction cost of the chapel.
as it was known
locally, became Moore's Chapel Cemetery. The chapel was sold and
in 1912. In 1999, Linda Swain donated 7.8 acres and sold
4.5 acres to Bath Township for cemetery expansion.