Rogers Island - Fort Edward, NY

Rogers Island - Fort Edward, NY (HM2HE2)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 43° 15.934', W 73° 35.224'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 61 views
Inscription

The Flood of 1913 & Concrete Barges

The Hudson River several times threatened the existence of our
community - floods occurred in 1833, 1843, 1869, 1893, and 1913. During the 1893 flood the lower part of the Island washed away.
The flood in the spring of 1913 was the most disastrous one. The spring floods caused such a rush of water from the Adirondacks the dams along the river gave way. Residents of the Island section and the southern part of the village had to leave their homes when the International
Paper Company Dam collapsed. The cry, 'The dam is out,' spread fear and consternation among the townspeople.
The Hudson rose 22 feet above normal and great piles of logs belonging to the paper company were
jammed against the railroad bridges. D & H gondola cars filled with iron ore were rolled upon both spans to add weight to the structures and to prevent their being swept away. River drivers with equipment of the day attempted to break the jam without success and were forced to resort to the use of dynamite. It has been estimated that roughly ly 200,000 logs were lost most of which floated out to sea.
Property on the 'Island' was in great danger. Some homes were flooded to a depth of several feet and the occupants had to leave hurriedly. Few household goods could be moved and the losses were very great." Narratives of Old Fort Edward,



Anne E. Brislin.
During World Wars I & II, while service flags with blue or gold stars appeared in the windows, those at home went 'all out' to preserve our heritage of freedom..." Narratives of Old Fort Edward, Anne E. Brislin.
One of the very visible ways that the residents of Fort Edward worked to secure victory in World War I was the manufacturing of cement barges by Holler, Davis & Flood. This Hudson Falls headquartered company had 4 Building Ways (essentially dry docks) on the Island and could manufacture barges up to 150 feet weighing a maximum of 500 tons. The cement barges were used to transport war materiel during the war. Cement was used since it required less steel which was in short supply due to the war effort. The cement barges were built on the Island through 1919.
Details
HM NumberHM2HE2
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, June 1st, 2019 at 2:03pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 614669 N 4791275
Decimal Degrees43.26556667, -73.58706667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 43° 15.934', W 73° 35.224'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds43° 15' 56.04" N, 73° 35' 13.44" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?