Het Duitse Huis / The German House

Het Duitse Huis / The German House (HM2HZA)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 52° 5.3', W 5° 7.134'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 43 views
Inscription
 In 1346 bouwden de ridders en priesters van de 'Hospitaalorde van
St. Marie der Duitsers' hun klooster tussen de Springweg en de stadsmuur.
De destijds vooral in het Oostzeegebied actieve orde had hier zijn
hoofdhuis van de Noordelijke Nederlanden, de zogenaamde Landcommanderij.
In 1674 werd de kloosterkerk door een wervelstorm zó zwaar beschadigd
dat hij werd afgebroken. De sacristie, het kloostergebouw, de keuken met
bijgebouwen en de woning van de Landcommandeur bleven tot op heden
bestaan. In 1811 werd het complex door de toenmalige Franse regering in
gebruik genomen als militair hospitaal. Onder koning Willem I werd het voor
die tijd zeer moderne hospitaalgebouw langs het Geertebolwerk gebouwd.
In 1990 verhuisde het Militair Hospitaal naar de Uithof. Na een grote
restauratie nam de Ridderlijke Duitsche Orde, Balije van Utrecht, in 1995 weer
haar intrek in het 15de-eeuwse Commandeurshuis op de hoek Springweg en
de Walsteeg. De overige gebouwen van het complex zijn inmiddels ook
gerestaureerd en sinds 1999 in gebruik bij Grand Hotel Karel V. In 1546/47
logeerde keizer Karel V (1500-1558) hier tijdens zijn verblijf in



Utrecht.
-
(English translation:)

In 1346 the knights and priests of the "Order of St. Marie of the Germans" built their monastery between Springweg (this street) and the city wall. The order, mainly active in the Baltic Sea area at the time, had its main house here in the Northern Netherlands, the so-called 'Land Command'. In 1674, the monastery church was so badly damaged by a whirlwind that it was demolished. The sacristy, the monastery building, the kitchen with outbuildings and the residence of the Landcommandeur remain still. In 1811 the complex was put into use as a military hospital by the (then French) government. Under King William I the modern (for that time) hospital building was built along the Geertebolwerk. In 1990 the Military Hospital moved to the Uithof. After a major restoration, the Knightly (Teutonic) Order of Germany, Balije van Utrecht, moved back into the 15th-century Commandeur House on the corner of Springweg and Walsteeg in 1995. Since 1999, the other buildings of the complex have since been restored and have been in use as the Grand Hotel Karel V. In 1546-47, Emperor Charles (Karel) V (1500-1558) stayed here during his stay in Utrecht.
Details
HM NumberHM2HZA
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, June 20th, 2019 at 11:01am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)30U E 354830 N 5772981
Decimal Degrees52.08833333, -5.11890000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 52° 5.3', W 5° 7.134'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds52° 5' 18" N, 5° 7' 8.04" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?