From the founding days, Hummelstown's Square has been the center of business and social activities as well as a visual focus and a transportation crossroads. These photos depict various time periods and features of the "Square" as well as some earlier businesses and buildings. The trolley, or "street car" service, ran between 1904 and 1946. The Hummelstown and Campbelltown Street Railway Company provided convenient transportation to Hershey, Palmyra, Campbelltown, and Lebanon. The Central Pennsylvania Traction Company provided service between Hummelstown and Harrisburg. The first street car entered Hummelstown on the evening of October 15, 1904, and portions of the original trolley tracks remain below the existing street surface.
The "Fountain," in the center of the Square, came into existence as a memorial to honor Henry Hershey and Nancy Landis Hershey. It was erected in 1910 by their son, Henry Landis Hershey. The Square is known to have had a working well up until piped water was introduced. The memorial fountain was relocated to Rosanna and Railroad Streets in 1925.
The "Arch" was erected in 1930 by John Bieber, then owner of Indian Echo Cave. The trolley cars passed under the arch with barely enough room to get by. It was removed in 1955.
A 50-year tradition of placing the Borough Christmas tree
in the center of the Square ended in 1995.