The "Arch" was constructed by John Bieber in 1930, initially as an advertisement for Indian Echo Cave, a natural cavern located approximately ½ mile south of the Borough. In the photos, the arch is shown with its various modifications over the years. The trolley tracks ran centered between the columns. The original arch was constructed of wood and was raised on protective "feet." It was used to announce events and as a welcome sign for visitors to the community. The arch was removed from the Square in 1955.
Indian Echo Cave, formerly known as Echo Cave, is one of the foremost natural attractions in the northeastern U.S. and is comparable to the Luray Caverns of Virginia, noted for the type and beauty of its formations. It is considered to have nearly as much influence in putting Hummelstown on the map, as did the Hummelstown Brownstone Company. In 1929 John Bieber opened the cave for visitors and installed a lighting system. One year later, a second chamber was discovered and opened to the public. The Swartz family purchased the cave property in 1940, and it remains open to visitors.
In recognition of the original arch and its relationship to the Borough and Indian Echo Cave, the Borough has erected a replica to commemorate the Square and to serve as a community information kiosk.