Hotels and taverns have a long-standing presence in Hummelstown. For Hummelstown—a town along stagecoach routes, the Union Canal, railroads, and later, roads—the provision of facilities for travelers was an active business. The following hotel buildings remain today, only one now used as a hotel.National Hotel
Railroad and 2nd Streets
Originally built as a residence for Christian Hershey in 1860 and converted to a hotel around 1868, the hotel was of the Tuscan Villa Italianate style, had verandas along two sides and an elaborately detailed belvedere. The building underwent significant renovations in 1907, which replaced the porches with smaller covered entrances of heavier and simpler detail. The renovated hotel had a roof garden and large banquet hall and had bathrooms set aside for the use by any citizen "...at a small figure...." The architect for the 1907 renovations is noted to be George Grove from Hummelstown. The property remains today, partially destroyed by fire in 1991.
40 East Main Street
Built in 1839 by George Fox, the two-and-one-half-story, three-bay hostelry operated continuously for more than 150 years. After the Civil War, more than a half dozen hotels were operated in
the town, but they Keystone was reputed to be the finest and busiest. In the late 19th Century, the hotel served as the town polling place and regular livestock sales were conducted there. In 1901 one of the area's first telephones, and later, the first radio, was installed there. This building ceased operations as a hotel in 1985. This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was converted for use as an apartment building.
formerly Grand Central Hotel,
12 West Main Street
This site has been noted to be used as a hotel as early at 1800 when it was known as the Cross Keys Hotel, and later, as the Mansion House, U.S. Hotel, and Baum's Hotel, and in 1889 as the Grand Central Hotel. In 1927 it was known as the Central Hotel, and by 1945 as the Hotel Warwick. With the addition of the mansard roof prior to 1911, the three-story brick building became a fine example of the Second Empire style. Numerous additions to the rear and interior renovations were performed over the years. The Warwick is presently the only remaining hotel in Hummelstown.