Although you see a modern agricultural landscape, the land once known as "Dorsey Farm" and now Serenity Farm, has a history including Native American settlements, tobacco plantations, and military encampments.
Since 10,000 B.C.
Native Americans camp and hunt along the Patuxent River.
(Image of pottery.)
Pope's Creek pottery made by Native Americans between 500 B.C. and ca. A.D. 300.
Captain John Smith notes many tribal villages along the Patuxent River.
(Image of Captain John Smith)
Colonists establish a plantation.
(Image of Pottery.)
Shreds of German-made pottery found on the 17th century plantation.
Captain Richard Smith granted 725 acres. The Smith family owns the land for 117 years.
A burial ground for the Smith family African American slaves is established above Smith Creek.
(Image of African American.)
Over 4,000 British soldiers land at Benedict and encamp on the hills to the west. Clement Dorsey owns the land.
(Image of musket balls.)
62 caliber musket balls recovered from British camp.
Local merchants James and William Morton purchase the Dorsey Farm. The Brown family acquires in 1954.
The Robinson family purchase the farm and Adina
Via Robinson names the land Serenity Farm. The family continue to own, operate, and occupy it today.
(Logo for the Maryland Department of Transportation's State Highway Administration.)