“Fraternity, Charity, Loyalty”African American Civil War veterans constructed this meeting hall for Charles Sumner Post No. 25, Grant Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) in 1908. The hall is one of only town known to survive that were built for soldiers who served in the United States Colored Troops (USCT), segregated units composed of former slaves and free blacks commanded by white officers. The post had an auxiliary wing, Woman's Relief Corps 1, the first such group organized in Maryland.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Maryland Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 25th, 2019 at 8:03am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 407934 N 4340296|
|Decimal Degrees||39.20706667, -76.06631667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 12.424', W 76° 3.979'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 12' 25.44" N, 76° 3' 58.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.