In the early 1900's businesses were numerous and prosperous from the south end of Pine to where it intersects with High Street.This marker is dedicated to the citizens of the Second Ward of Cambridge, Maryland.
The neighborhood was filled with beauty salons, barber shops, funeral homes, and taxi cab stands, shoe repair shops, a printing shop, tailor shops and dry cleaners. There were grocery stores, confectionery stores, restaurants, a drug store, carpenters, electricians, a salvage yard, service stations, a vault maker, haulers and movers. Cambridge was part of the entertainment circuit of national performers that supported an opera house, pool halls, night clubs, boarding houses and lodging. From 1880 to the 1960's the business community of all the 'Negro Ward' proudly served over one third of the residents of Dorchester County, Maryland.