Prior to the Civil War, this area was part of a roughly two acre tract used by the Carter family as a garden. Potatoes, okra, raspberries, apples, and peaches were just a few of the crops grown here. On November 30, 1864, the garden was destroyed when Federal troops dug a portion of their main defensive line through it and as vicious fighting raged across it. The 72nd Illinois Infantry was posted directly ahead in the main line and those troops, along with the rest of Brig. Gen. Thomas H. Ruger's Division were assaulted by elements of Maj. Gen. John. C. Brown's Confederate Division. This portion of the main line collapsed under the weight of the attack and fell back to a reserve line, which was manned by the 44th Missouri Infantry. From sunset to well into the night the combat was desperate and often hand-to-hand until the Confederates finally withdrew.