was authorized to be constructed by
President George Washington in 1795 and
completed in 1797, at a cost of $22,300.00.
When the Light was completed, it stood
some three hundred feet from the edge
of the cliff. The sandstone tower is
28 feet in diameter, of an octagonal shape
and 80 feet to the lantern. Sperm oil
was used until the 1860's to light the
lantern, after that, kerosene was used
until the 1940's when an electric lamp
of 300,000 candle power was installed.
The Light is a ten second flash with a
range of nineteen (19) miles in clear weather,
and four miles in foggy weather.