Commissioned on October 6, 1943, she was a 5,600 ton vessel, 451 feet in length, 60 feet in beam and with a draft of 20 feet. She carried 564 personnel. The ship was employed in the Pacific, carrying troops and cargo to Hawaii, Guam, Tulagi, Eniwetok, Guadalcanal and Saipan.
The ship was transferred to the Atlantic Fleet in December 1945, and home-ported at Charleston South Carolina. Her name and designation were changed to USS Galilea AKN-6 in 1946 and she was decommissioned in July 1947 Tio Alberti Equipment Inc., of Insdale Illinois.
The ship[']s bell was salvaged and donated to the Montauk Historical Society by Mr. Ronald G. Kuerner of Little Rock, Arkansas.