The Houma Downtown Development Corporation
is pleased to accept this mural on behalf of the people of
Terrebonne Parish painted by Louisiana muralist Hans Geist.
This artwork depicts the foundation and establishments
which came together throughout history to form this
wonderful community we call "The Good Earth".
Established March 22 1822, from the lower part of
Lafourche interior, it is the 2nd largest parish in
the state, covering an area of 2100 square miles.
The City of Houma inherited its name from the Native
American tribe known as the "Oumas" Indians, descendants
of the Choctaw tribe who spoke the Muskogean language.
Acadian immigrants eventually became known as "Cajuns"
who developed their own distinct lifestyle in the
surrounding areas. "Creole" refers to those who were
born in the new world to parents from Europe and Africa.
Original crops of rice, cotton, and indigo used for trade.
Known for an abundance of game and seafood with
development of the fur, oyster, and shrimping industries.
One of the most productive sugarcane growers and
oil producers in the nation.
In grateful appreciation to the dedicated efforts and
generous gift of a distinguished individual who chooses
to remain anonymous and whose outstanding
demonstrates their commitment to the past, present,
and future of our community.
Recognition is also given to Christopher E. Cenac Sr., M.D.
for reference and insight from his book, "Eyes of an Eagle".