is 64, and there are a few summer homes.
There are a number of retirees.
Port Felix is scenic, with its harbour and rugged coastline surrounded by
many islands. It is great for recreational boaters and fishers.
There were 2 Post Offices, one on the west side, established in 1869 and
one on the east side, established in 1903. The latest closed in 1969.
Left Photo: In 1864, Father Felix Van Blerk, a Belgian priest, took over the parish. He must have made an impression on the villagers because the settlers petitioned to have the village re-named in honor of Father Felix Van Blerk
St. Joseph's Parish Hall was built in the early 1930's on the Chapel Hill
and in the 1970's was moved across the road. The church and the hall
are still active today. By the 1930's, there were two one-room school-
houses. In 1956, nine Sisters of Notre Dame arrived and a new school
was built on the Chapel Hill. In the 1970's this school served the areas
of Port Felix, Whitehead, Cole Harbour, Charlos Cove and Larry's River.
Students were then bussed to schools in New Harbour, Canso or
Guysborough. Today the students attend Fanning Education in Hazel