It was [B]ishop Moynihans wish to build a church in Castle Cove. His reason for building a church here was, as a curate in 1917 he saw first hand the people of Castle Cove walking the long journey to Caherdaniel. When they finally reached their destination they would have to stand because the people of Caherdaniel would be already occupying the seats. When Mass had ended they were blessed and told go in peace, their journey across the mountains began again.
This inspired [B]ishop Moynihans that one day Castle Cove would have its own church. With the help of the people of Castle Cove through hard work and free labour a foundation was dug on a bog where you are now standing.
The church was opened and blessed on 21st September 1961 and paid for in full. It was pride of place at its best.
[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
· Members of the committee left to right
J. Clifford, F. o Sullivan, M. Fitzgerald,
D. MacGillycuddy, E. o Sullivan, J. o Leary, D. Clifford
· [Photo of the church]
· Men join in a photo on the day of the opening