In February of 1883, Colonizer and Bishop Thomas E. Ricks commissioned Andrew A. Anderson to survey Rexburg City. This block was set aside as the Public Square. In the early days of colonization, settlers camped here before moving to their permanent locations. Here a the Square was a race track, ball field, bandstand, and a bowery for the community. The Square was the gathering place for Rexburg and surrounding areas for patriotic, political, community and family activities. By 1912, the Rexburg LDS Tabernacle was completed and many of the activities moved there, away from the Public Square.