Settlement named in honor of Robert T. Burton, who laid out the townsite in 1882. Early settlers cleared the sagebrush, dug canals, ditches, planted crops, and built modest homes. A branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized in 1884 with George Foss, Presiding Elder.
Church services and school were were held in homes until a 20x30x12 ft. log meetinghouse was erected in 1886-87. It had a dirt roof, red pine floor, four windows, and a door. First school teacher was Jennie Smith; postmaster, H.S. Dudley; first white child born was Annie Thornton.