Incorporated in 1687, Preston was settled mainly by sons and grandsons of founders of surrounding towns on land purchased from the Mohegan Indians. It was probably named for Preston in Suffolk, the English home of Thomas Parke, one of the earliest settlers. Initially the town developed around the church in what has long been known as Preston City, where Amos, Fobes, Tracy, and Treat land grants came together. The town annexed in 1786 a portion of Norwich called Long Society, which included Poquetanuck. In 1901 a part of Preston was annexed to Norwich. Preston formerly included Griswold, which separated in 1815.
Erected by the Town of Preston the Preston Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Commission 1975