Settlement by New London pioneers in this conquered Pequot Indian country began along the river at Allyn's Point and Poquetanuck in 1653, then spread down the Indian trail to Mystic. Here at the "Center ," in 1725 the precise center of that area which became Ledyard was chosen as the site for the new North Parish church of Groton and the training field of the militia was moved. On September 6, 1781 that militia supported the defender of Fort Griswold, Colonel William Ledyard, when Benedict Arnold sacked New London and Groton. One-third of those massacred came from this North Parish. Its people, recovering slowly, chose in 1836 to name their new town as a memorial to their leader.
( back )
The first village, Gales Ferry (1740), sheltered blockaded Commodore Decatur from British attack during the War of 1812. For nearly one hundred years (1878-1975) Yale and Harvard crews have trained there for their annual four-mile race along the Thames. Ledyard was the birthplace of Silas Deane (1737 - 1789) - envoy to France during the Revolution. Samuel Seabury (1729 - 1796) - first Episcopal Bishop of Connecticut. Jonathan Whipple (1794 - 1875) and Zerah Whipple (1849 - 1879) - Quakers, founders of the Whipple Home School for Deaf Mutes, now the Mystic Oral School.
by the Town of Ledyard
the Ledyard Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission