When St.Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated on
January 6, 1884, an ornate brass chandelier presented by the
Edison Electric Light Company provided illumination for the ceremony.
Wired for electric lighting before its completion,
St. Paul's was one of the first churches in the nation lighted by
The Tiffin Edison Electric Illuminating Company,
the first central electric power station in Ohio and the
tenth in the United States, was built in Tiffing in late 1883.
With a 100 horsepower boiler, a 120 horsepower engine and
two dynamos, it supplied direct current sufficient to light
1,000 lamps. It stood two blocks north of this site. The
original brass "electrolier" still hangs in the sanctuary inside.