In 1868, the Field family landed on Merritt Island to start a new life. A year later, much of the family returned to Macon, Georgia, but the two eldest brothers John R. (J.R.) and Samuel J. (Sam) Field remained. Using the Homestead Act of 1862, they claimed over 450 acres with J.R. taking the northern section and Sam the southern plot. Sam used part of his land to help develop the community of Indianola, while J.R. and his family established a homestead. By 1880, the current two-story riverfront house was built for J.R., his wife Eliza, and their two daughters, Irene and Annie Eliza. The first crops J.R. planted were sugarcane and mangoes, but he later found more success in growing citrus. By 1900, he had built an onsite packing house and started to ship Indian River citrus nationwide. As the family grew, so did the house, and several additions were made to accommodate the three generations that lived there. In 1997, the Field house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Alma Clyde, J.R.'s last living descendant to live on the property, passed away in 2013. She left the homestead to the community with the intent that it would serve as a museum for future generations to enjoy.