Johnson Elementary School was dedicated on November 30, 1958, being named for Dr. Charles C. Johnson (1886-1966), a prominent local African American physician. Mr. James R. Watkins (1914-1996), Johnson's first principal, led the school through the integration of Franklin's schools in the early 1970s and served as principal until his retirement in 1981. His calm and gentle manner and his leadership skills were examples in a time of great social change. At the opening, teachers were Edna Hughes, Emma Edwards, Mattie Short, Carrie Wilson, Bazelia Harris, Anne Spencer, Mary Mills, Louise Patton, Lula Blakemore, Lou Ella Hamilton, Eleanor Bright, Jesse Walker, Henry Hardison, Pearl Watson, and Anne Porter Patton. Other staff members were Ike Norris, Theresa Mae Patton, and Alice Wilson.
Williamson County Historical Society 2004