Just to the south, on route 10, is Abigail's, originally called the Pettibone Tavern.
Jonathan Pettibone built the first Pettibone Tavern about 1780 and, after it was largely destroyed by fire, rebuilt it in 1801. The large chimney stack is thought to be from the original building and some nineteenth century features remain. As with most taverns, weary travelers could sleep as well as drink and dine there.
During the Revolutionary War, Jonathan Pettibone (1741-1826) was with his father, Colonel Jonathan Pettibone, commander of the 18th Regiment Connecticut Militia, when he died in 1776 during Washington's retreat from Long Island. His three brothers also served.
The White Memorial Fountain, across the road from the former Pettibone's Tavern, was dedicated to Dr. Roderick White in 1892. At the time, its placement was in the heart of Weatogue Village. The much beloved, Yale educated Dr. White treated many with water-borne illnesses, so the spring-fed fountain was an appropriate tribute.