In 1873, W.S. McLemore subdivided 15 acres which he called "Hard Bargain" because of a difficult land deal struck in 1866. Hard Bargain became a stable community, largely African-American. The Harvey McLemore house on this lot, built in 1880, was the home of a successful ex-slave and his descendants for 117 years. To the north stands the Franklin Primitive Baptist Church, organized in 1867, and Mt. Hope Cemetery, begun in 1875. On the east side stood St. John's Episcopal Church, the church's Negro mission, and a tobacco warehouse. Due south was the 1910 subdivision of Franklin banker E.E. Green and the Green Street Church of God. On the west stood Polk Town, a row of shotgun houses, now a playground.