Union Lodge No.7, A.F. & A. M.-The origin of organized Free masonry in Dover can be traced to the formation of Old Lodge No. 18 on August 25, 1775. During its twelve years of existence, meeting were held on the "The Green" at an inn which stood on the future site of the Kent County Courthouse. Members included such prominent Delawareans as John Dickinson, "Penman of the Revolution," and Continental Army officer David Hall, Robert Kirkwood, James Tilton, and Allen McLane. The first Union Lodge was chartered on June 24, 1809. Worshipful Master was Willard Hall, who is widely recognized as the "father" of public education in Delaware. Hall later served as the Grand Master of Masons in Delaware in 1817 and 1818. The Lodge met in 1833. The charter was revived by the Grand Lodge of Delaware on June 27, 1857. Meeting places have included the Dunning Building and "Old Brick Academy" on State Street, 22 Loockerman Street, and the Hinkle Building at State and North Street. After nearly a half century of meeting there, the members of Union Lodge No.7 completed construction of the present building in 2005.