Roby United Methodist Church-First settled in the 18th century, the town of Leipsic quickly became a center for maritime commerce. In 1831, residents of this growing community established the Leipsic Methodist Episcopal Church. Increasing political tension over the Civil War led to a division in the membership, and on June 3, 1865 dissenting members formed a Methodist Protestant Church in Leipsic. The following December, trustees of the new congregation purchased property at his location "to erect a house for Religious worship in the town of Leipsic." Construction was soon completed and the building was formally dedicated on January 28, 1866. The church was named in honor of Dr. Washington Roby, the former President of the Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church. Although the original bell tower was destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in 1954, the bell was saved and re-housed in a new steeple. Roby United Methodist Church continues to serve the spiritual needs of the community.