In 1855, eminent Franklin lawyer John Marshall gave a seven-acre lot for a new cemetery to be located immediately west of the City Cemetery. Early Methodist minister Thomas L. Douglass and numerous Confederate soldiers are buried here. Among the latter is Capt. "Tod" Carter, who was mortally wounded during the Battle of Franklin. Also interred here are post-Civil War Franklin leaders John B. McEwen and Dr. Daniel B. Cliffe. McEwan was an entrepreneur, lawyer, and owner of Fernvale Springs. Dr. Cliffe was a respected physician, Confederate surgeon, and president of the Nashville and Decatur Railroad. He is buried with family members including his daughter Belle, and her husband, Gen. James P. Brownlow, U.S.A.