Native Americans, travelers, and early settlers used this water source long before Joseph Chapline, Sr., chartered Sharpsburg on July 9, 1763. Chapline laid out the town so that the spring was one-half block from the town center. The never-failing spring, once called Garrison's Spring, served as a water source for town residents and their livestock until 1967 when a public water system was installed. Over the years different groups and organizations have built, maintained, and whitewashed the spring's stone arch and walls where a large metal dipper once hung for all to use.
The Sharpsburg Historical Society donated this sign to the town of Sharpsburg in July 2013.