This area originally was wholly within the Town of Norwich and consisted of a tract of land in the heart of the Mohegan Indian territory. Josiah Read is believed the earliest white settler, having purchased a mile-long tract from the Indians in 1687. In 1718 sixteen petitioners were granted the right to establish the North East Society, the third ecclesiastical society in Norwich, for their worship of God. The Newent Ecclesiastical Society was founded in 1723, with the Reverend Daniel Kirkland as its first settled minister. It is believed the name Newent was used since many settlers came from Newent. England. Finally, in 1786, the Newent Ecclesiastical Society was incorporated as the Town of Lisbon, probably so named because early inhabitants engaged in commercial shipping with Lisbon, Portugal.
Erected by the Town of Lisbon
and the Connecticut Historical Commission