— 1855 —
The Barlett, Bryant, Vannata, and Veach families were the first settlers in 1837-1839.
In 1840-1850 the McCreery, Woodring and Maynard, Rowlett and Thompson families became property owners.
Snagtown ~ New Corner was platted by David L. Jones in February 27, 1855.
November 11, 1892 the U.S. Post Office changed the name of the New Corner Post Office to Gaston.
December 9, 1892 the residents of New Corner petitioned the Delaware County Commissioners to change the name of the town to Gaston.
October 25, 1904 an election was held for the incorporation of the town of Gaston.
Gaston was platted as a townsite by David L. Jones in February 27, 1855. With 35 residents, Snagtown was a trading center with a sawmill, general store, two churches, school, post office and doctor. Rich ground that was once swamp drew families to settle nearby and the small town grew.
Progress dictated that roads be built for easy travel. Trees were cut off knee-high leaving a stump, and the log were used to make corduroy roads. Rather than pull the stump out, the roads simply went around them.
Written histories agree that the town of Snagtown was named by Nathan McCreery, Sr. when, on his way to the general store, he snagged his jeans on a stump. He remarked, that this place
was nothing but a "Snagtown". The name stuck, and the town was named.
Modern roads eventually were built as Snagtown grew and prospered. The name was changed to New Corner when a "new corner" of business building were built. The name Gaston was adopted on November 11, 1892 and the town was incorporated in 1904 during the gas boom.
The community has come a long way since Snagtown days but we appreciate our humble beginnings and look forward to a bright future.