David Witherspoon, born in Ireland, built this tavern in 1761 as a midpoint between waterways to the east and west. While traveling to the Continental Congress, Thomas Jefferson lodged here on June 20, 1775. George Washington also dined at the Witherspoon on April 30 and May 19, 1784. Robert Cochran purchased the tavern in 1844 and later improved it into the Victorian style Middletown Hotel. The tavern has operated on the town square for more than 250 years. It has survived the American Revolution, Civil War, Prohibition, Great Depression and a devastating fire in 1946. The first floor and foundation from 1761 remain intact.