Huron. · Early Indian Village and French trading post, 1749. · First white settlement in Western Reserve — Jean Baptiste Flemmond, 1790. · Surveyed 1806 by Almon Ruggles. · Site of first school in Firelands area 1810 — Alvin Coe and Jamar Ruggles, teachers. · Base of Huron Rangers, protecting settlers during War of 1812; Captain Joshua Cotton, Commander. Rangers fought bloody battle on Peninsula to repulse Potawatami invasion of Johnson's Island.
As part of "The Firelands of Ohio" Erie County had its origin in the Revolutionary War. Connecticut towns were burned in the historic raids of Benedict Arnold and the British General Tryon. 500,000 acres in the Western Reserve were awarded by the Connecticut Assembly in 1792 to indemnify the fire-sufferers, therefore known and "The Firelands;" consisting of what is now Huron and Erie Counties, plus Ruggles and Danbury Townships.
Originally part of Huron County, organized 1811, first courthouse at Fort Avery; County of Erie formed in 1838.