1857-1862After LaGrange College moved to Florence in January 1855, a group of LaGrange citizens organized a college in the vacant buildings under the old name. Rev. Felix Johnson was elected president. To increase the patronage, a military feature was introduced in 1857. Major J. W. Robertson became superintendent and classes were suspended while a third major building was erected for the cadets. The college reopened in February 1858, as LaGrange College and Military Academy. The new institution's financial situation was dismal until the State of Alabama provided military equipment and scholarships. The Academy soon flourished and became known as the "West Point of the South." In 1860, the name was changed to LaGrange Military Academy. By 1861, the enrollment was almost 200 cadets. During its existence, 259 cadets from nine states attended the Academy.
|Placed By||Sponsored by LaGrange Living Historical Assn., Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation, Benefactors|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 27th, 2019 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 448381 N 3835576|
|Decimal Degrees||34.66083333, -87.56335000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 39.65', W 87° 33.801'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 39' 39" N, 87° 33' 48.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.